top of page

A Process Server contacted me to serve me documents. How do I arrange to receive them?

If you have received a call or contact card from a Process Server at WI Process, we may be attempting to serve you legal documents. For your privacy, we cannot discuss the nature of the documents until we deliver them to you in person and confirm your identity.


Please contact us at (414) 207-9094 or to schedule a day/time/place to receive your documents.


Delaying or avoiding service does not make your matter go away. There are multiple alternative ways of effecting service (e.g. Publishing in the newspaper, mailing, serving a family member, etc). Due Process provides every citizen the right to be notified through formal procedural process (e.g. to be served) informing them of a lawsuit or other legal matter they are named. The type of matter varies from Notices to Subpoenas or Summons requiring an appearance or information. We are just the messenger of process and not a party to your case. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I'm interested in working as a Process Server

WI Process is always looking for new 1099 Independent Contract Process Servers to join us in nearly every county throughout Wisconsin.



  • 18 years of age or older

  • Resident of the State of Wisconsin We will train the right candidates. 

  • No conflict of interest (e.g. party to the case being served)

  • Experience as a Process Server preferred but not required

  • Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (critical)

  • Ability to work independently and manage your own schedule

  • Attention to detail and professional demeanor

  • Access to a reliable vehicle, smartphone, valid driver's license, and insurance

  • Knowledge of state and federal regulations regarding process preferred

  • Successful completion of a background check

Contract rates vary per job depending on the county, type of documents and speed of service required.

Generally, our Process Servers are required to make up to 4 attempts on various days and times including early mornings, weekends and evenings and can set your own schedule to complete the job within the deadline provided.

This is the perfect job for experienced Process Servers, Retirees, or Independent Contractors looking to add flexible income to their schedules.

Please submit your resume with interest to Only candidates that meet our needs at this time will be contacted.

Can I mail you my documents for service?

Yes, you may mail your documents if you need to:

WI Process

P.O. Box 270032

Milwaukee, WI 53227

Please be mindful of court deadlines for service. We are not liable for lost or delayed mail. It is always a good idea to mail with tracking so you can see the status of delivery. 

We accept USPS, Fedex and UPS. 

I am a landlord. How do I evict a tenant?

Eviction rules vary from state to state, and county to county.

In Milwaukee County, a great resource for landlords is the Eviction Process Checklist that outlines the steps. Some steps in the process can only be completed by the Sheriff's Office. It is up to the Plaintiff to understand the necessary steps and timeline requirements to ensure each step is completed correctly. 

For all other counties, refer to your local jurisdictions rules and/or seek legal counsel for assistance. 

I need someone served outside of the State of Wisconsin or United States

We routinely assist clients with service out of state. Laws vary throughout the United States, Canada and globally. While most documents that originate from Wisconsin will be served in accordance with the law of Wisconsin (or the state that has jurisdiction where the complaint was filed). There are variables such as laws that prohibit service on certain days. For example:

Several states do not permit documents to be served on Sundays or Holidays, but some of these states will permit service under special circumstances pursuant to Court Order. Wisconsin is not one of these States restricting Sunday/Holiday service, the following do:



Florida Statutes §48.20



Maine Revised Statutes §705



General Laws of Massachusetts Chapter 136, Sec. 8


Sundays and Holidays

Minnesota Statute §645.44(5)

New York


New York General Business Law §11 Upon person who keeps SATURDAY as holy time New York General Business Law §13

Rhode Island


General Laws of Rhode Island §9-5-24

South Dakota


South Dakota Codified Laws §1-5-2


Sundays except by Court Order

Tennessee Code Annotated §20-2-105 and 106



Texas Rules of Civil Procedure, Rule 6



Code of Virginia §8.01-289

West Virginia


International Service

This service varies greatly depending on the country. Read more for info on International Service.

Can you do stakeouts?

We offer "waiting" time for unique cases to wait near a residence or business to locate an individual. We are not law enforcement or private investigators, so waiting time is limited in scope to that solely for the purposes of serving legal process. 

If you are attempting to serve a hard-to-locate individual, please contact us for a wait time quote. Rates for this service are billed at an hourly minimum. Example: $50.0 per 1/2 hour with a $100-$200 minimum (depending on location) and may need to be split up in blocks of 4-8 hours max per day. We can only wait on public roadways where parking is legal. Waiting does not guarantee a successful service attempt.

I'm trying to serve someone but I don't have the defendant/respondent's address

Address Check

We can run a limited address check aka Skip trace which includes a brief social media search, prison and county jail match for a probable last known address. Additional fees may apply.


We can also submit a change of address or boxholder information request to the USPS to see if the individual or business has provided a new address. Additional fees may apply depending on location of the post office for retrieval.

These services are soley for the purposes of serving legal process. We do not provide address checks or USPS address/boxholder information for any other purpose. Contact us at (414) 207-9094 or for more information or to get started.

I know i'm being served. Can't you just mail the papers to me?

In most cases, the short answer is no. If you have been contacted by us because we have legal documents to serve you, we are trying to serve the documents to you in-hand, personally. Please seek legal counsel for your options to accept documents via an alternate means. Some types of documents may be accepted electronically depending on the type and jurisdiction.

What happens if I avoid a Process Server?

After diligent attempts to serve an individual or business has been made, we will return an Affidavit of Non-Service/Due-Diligence/Attempted/Not Found to the party requesting service. It is up to that party to action next steps which may include requesting  additional addresses to be attempted including workplaces, family members, or serving by alternate means (Publication, Substitute serving a family member, mailing, posting, etc) depending on the type of document and jurisdiction they originate from.

Avoiding a Process Server is never a good idea, but we cannot force you to open the door or cooperate. If you choose to avoid a Process Server, the matter does not simply go away. It is in every party's best interests, and your right to Due Process to know what the documents are and how you should respond to the matter. 

The consequences for avoiding service vary. It isn't illegal to lie to a Process Server in most cases, however in some States, obstructing service of process by knowingly resisting or obstructing the authorized service or execution of any civil or criminal process or order of any court can be a Class B misdemeanor (e.g. Florida). In any case, courts could find you in contempt of court and impose sanctions against you if they find out you lied.

I need an out-of-state Subpoena domesticated in Wisconsin

According to the UIDDA, domesticating a subpoena under the UIDDA requires litigants to “present a clerk of the court located in the state where discoverable materials are sought with a subpoena issued by a court in the trial state. Once the clerk receives the foreign subpoena, the clerk will issue a subpoena for service upon the person or entity on which the original subpoena is directed.”

The process will depend on whether both states recognize the UIDDA, which makes the process uniform for states that have adopted it. 
The Uniform Interstate Deposition and Discovery Act has been adopted by over 30 states to make the process as straight forward as possible. These states include: 
Alabama, Alaska, ArizonaCaliforniaColoradoDelawareDistrict of ColumbiaFlorida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, U.S. Virgin Islands, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin.

Step One: Issuing the Subpoena 

Under the UIDDA, the party submits the foreign subpoena to a clerk in the state where the deposition or discovery is to take place. The clerk then issues the subpoena for service in line with their court’s process and regulations. In some states, a local attorney can also domesticate an out of state subpoena without the need to have it issued through court. 

Step Two: Serving the Subpoena

The Rules of Civil Procedure for the state in which the subpoena is to be served will need to be followed. Any applicable witness fee will need to be served with the subpoena.  

States That Don’t Recognize the UIDDA
States that have not yet adopted and do not recognize the Uniform Interstate Deposition and Discovery Act include: Connecticut, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, Puerto Rico, Texas, and Wyoming.
For states that do not recognize the UIDDA, the process of domesticating a subpoena will be different. In general, a request will need to be made with the local court to have the subpoena issued by the court where the subpoena is to be served. This usually involves filling out an application, submitting a petition and sending any related documents to the court. In some cases, you will need to file a formal petition, and some states even require a practicing attorney to file the petition.
In some states such as Massachusetts and New Hampshire, it may be necessary to engage a local attorney to issue the subpoena. We have established relationships with attorneys in these states whom can assist to domesticate foreign subpoenas. 

It is also important to contact the local court to obtain the procedures to domesticate an out of state procedure as they may vary from court to court.

Helpful Links: 
California Subpoena Forms
Colorado Issuing Out of State Subpoena
Connecticut Out Of State Commission to Depose a Connecticut Resident​
Delaware Subpoena Template
Illinois Process For Local Counsel
New York Subpoena Template
Utah Court Guidance on Subpoenas

We can handle subpoena domestication in Wisconsin. Rates vary depending on the county. 

I am an attorney, property manager or firm that needs documents served regularly. Why should I choose WI Process?

Experience, diligence, efficiency and professionalism is at our core. 

We have assisted thousands of satisfied attorneys, government agencies and Pro Se parties representing themselves in legal matters. We also work with paralegals and property management companies on large quantity Evictions, Subrogation Large & Small claims and one-off jobs for low-volume firms. WI Process is one of the top-rated Process Servers in Wisconsin. We provide a quick and easy way for you to submit your documents for service and if you regularly need service done, we can set you up with a free account on our platform where you can manage all of your jobs, affidavits and invoices painlessly. 

It is important to hire a Process Server who knows what they are doing, will provide you with timely updates and respond promptly to your inquires so you aren't wondering what the status is on a job. Too often, this is the chief complaint of other Process Servers. We take every job with pride and stewardship to ensure it is done right the first time. The same care and attention is given to a single job submission as we do for 100 jobs from one customer. 

I need someone served ASAP.

We do rush jobs every day of the week!

Whether you need documents served TODAY or within 30 days, let us handle for you. Rush fees apply on top of standard service rates and vary depending on speed, quantity and complexity.


Contact us at (414) 207-9094 or seven days a week 7am-9pm for your rush needs.

I need an attorney to assist me with my case, can you help?

WI Process is not a law firm. We are not attorneys and cannot provide legal advice. You may consider checking out the Wisconsin State Bar website or your jurisdiction's Bar Association to find a lawyer that may be able to assist you.

Will a Process Server attempt to serve someone at their workplace?

Yes, as a last resort and by information provided by the party requesting service we will attempt workplaces of respondents to effect service. Obviously, it is more desirable for all parties to serve an individual at their place of abode for personal service matters. We try to be as discreet as possible to give the employee some privacy.

We also routinely serve documents to registered agents of businesses (generally at their place of business). Large and Small corporations, LLCs, Sole Proprietors, and Registered Agent companies like CT Corp and Corporation Service Company are common.

Due to the rapidly changing nature of the law, there may be times when the material on this page is not current. We have made every effort to provide complete and accurate information of the general tips, references and rules governing service of process. However, we cannot guarantee the current accuracy of the above listed content, it is provided for general information purposes only and is not intended as legal advice. We assume no liability whatsoever and will not be held responsible directly or indirectly for any damages resulting from any errors, omissions, inaccuracies or your reliance on this partial information.

bottom of page